Denmans of Whitchurch Ltd are a long established (84 years to date) removals, storage and haulage company based in Whitchurch, Shropshire, United Kingdom. Now in its third generation, this quality family business is very proud of its history and excellent reputation.
In 1925, Fred Denman founded his removal and haulage business in partnership with his brother Jack. With Fred's eye for a business and Jack's farming connections, the business grew rapidly.
By 1935, the company had purchased the Raven Garage, Heath Road, and were operating from this centre. In 1938, the business moved to premises behind the White Lion Hotel in Green End, Whitchurch in order to accommodate an expanding fleet. Fred gained a special dispensation from the local authority to use the ajoining Smithfield.
By 1948 with large contracts such as John Summers, which later became British Steel, Denmans had now become one of the largest haulage companies in Shropshire, employing local staff and drivers. In 1949, the company was nationalised and it was not until 1954 that Fred was able to rebuild the company, with his wife. Although the company had been substantially down-sized due to the effects of nationalisation, the family business continued.
In 1958, Fred’s eldest son Romney returned from active National Service in Malaya and joined the business.
Although the business had always carried out removals and storage, Romney realised there was a need and a market for a more developed and professional approach to this side of the business and concentrated his efforts on its successful development.
Sadly, in 1977 Fred died, leaving Romney to continue, ably assisted by his wife and fellow director Carole.
In 1987, Romney and Carole’s eldest son, Julian, returned from a successful period of working in Hong Kong for property magnate David Davies and also joined the family operation.
Julian’s work experience overseas brought valuable input into the company and, like Romney, Julian concentrated on developing the removals and storage business further. Removals and storage had now become the company’s main turnover compared to the dominance of the haulage operations pre-nationalisation.
In 1996, the company expanded into its current Highgate headquarters and began to develop and offer ‘self-storage’ and ‘private room storage’ facilities at this prominent location.
In 2004, after a re-structuring exercise, Julian’s wife Vicky joined the family fold and successfully took control of all administrative applications and processes.
Julian, Vicky, Romney and Carole are all very proud of the company’s unbroken family service to the local community and beyond, and are very conscious of the loyalty of their staff and customers to whom they owe a huge debt of gratitude.